Tuesday 22 May 2012

Taxis




Yea I know I said this topic requires a whole new blog, but I will touch on it a little, cant help myself, what baffles me is that, we are not allowed to import cars over ten years into Ghana, eh? Have you seen the state of the taxis?, the best way to describe them is scrap metals with engines, but that would be an insult to scrap metal, because they are not even fit for the scrap heap, they are death traps,
It is very bad, you have to see it to appreciate just how bad it is, I once opened a taxi door and the handle came off in my hand I was horrified, yet the government will not allow us to import cars over ten years, if you do, the clearing charges will be astronomical.
I've heard horror stories of Ghanians being asked to pay unbealievable sums of money, if they are unable to pay, their vehicles are sold very cheaply to the officials, it beggers belief. It is very disheartening.
Am I the only one who thinks that it will be better for the government to waive the charges like they do in Togo, to allow us to import ten year old cars to replace the death traps? It doesn’t make sense to me at all that our roads are filled with dangerouse metals running around putting peoples lives at risk, what possible explanation could there be to justify that? If someone has a resonable explanation why that is I would love to hear it.  Below is a picture of the seat of a taxi, and this is not the worst, I rest my case.

No comments: