Tuesday 22 May 2012

STC



The State Transport corporation used to be the most safest and comfortable way to travel but like everything else this has deteriorated to such a shameful level it is unrecognisable, the staff are rude, I decided to take it to kumasi as I thought it was still the best way to travel, I went to the station, bought my ticket and was handed a tag for my luggage, I sat down to wait for the next bus.

I looked on as other people came to do the same, then I saw a lady seriously inspecting her luggage tag, I thought surely they cant make a mistake with that?, they take your name and issue you with a ticket and a luggage tag with your name on it how hard can that be? I looked at mine to make sure and lo and behold my luggage tag had someone else's name on it ( no I am not kidding!) I went back to the lady who sold me the ticked and said " you have given me somebody’s luggage tag" she said, somebody cancelled their ticked so I sold it to you" so why didn’t you change the name on the tag? I asked, "It will be fine" she said, no it will not!, I retorted, my ticket has my name the tag has a different name, the drivers compare the name on the  receipt with  name on the tag at the end of the journey to release your luggage to you, so I would have had a hard time convincing the driver that the luggage belonged to me, and this lady was aware of this procedure so why she thought I was dumb enough to buy that nonsense I don’t know, as usual I was very annoyed  with their incompetence, and boy did I make my annoyance known, I gave the ticket and the tag back to her ( well sort of threw it really) and demanded in no uncertain terms for a new ticket and a tag with my name on it!, I was already annoyed with her half asleep attitude on my arrival so when she also thought it was ok to give me a luggage tag that had somebody else's name because she could not be bothered to change it, that really did it for me, to her credit she was very apologetic and very professional about it, but somehow the porter thought I was being unreasonable and threatened to stop me from boarding the bus! He will what? yes that is exactly what I said, What has it got to do with him? Did I speak to him? No.
He became very abusive, all his colleagues were asking him to stop behaving like an idiot but did he listen? no! to cut a long story short he did not know what hit him.

I got on the bus all fired up, took up my seat, and settled for the long bumpy ride, I watched as people
boarded and looked for their seat and sat down, then I noticed that the exit door was piled to the hilt with luggage, so was the gang way, what to do, what to do, I fretted and twiddled with my fingers because I knew whatever I say will be met with cold animosity, unfortunately I am not one to keep my mouth shut, the reason is I will feel very stupid if I dont speak up and something goes wrong, I will not be able to forgive myself, I will forever be thinking to myself why didnt I say something? and what if the damage could not be reversed? I prefer to speak up.
I called out to the driver and said, do you realize that it is a safety hazard to block the exit door and the gang way? he looked at as if he has seen a alien, eventualy he said " it is fine" "what do you mean its fine? God forbid if there was a accident we will not be able to use the exit, so tell me why you think it is fine?" I asked, he just ignored me, anybody who knows me well will tell you that is the worse thing you can do to me, again I was forced to raise my voice, did not get a single support from the passengers so eventually I gave up, it is either you get off the bus or shut up. I am ashamed to say I shut up I was too hot and bothered to get off and wait for another bus. I vowed never to travel on
STC again.

No comments: